1. When logging in for the first time please use forget password feature to create a password. Your old password wasn't brought over to this new board.
    Dismiss Notice

California Boater Cards are now MANDATORY

Discussion in 'Fishing Rules and Regulations' started by NancyH, Jan 11, 2018.

There is currently 1 User browsing this thread. (0 Members and 1 Guest).
  1. NancyH

NancyH Science Director (Ret.) Staff Member

As of January 1, 2018, anyone under the age of 21 must carry a California Boater Card when operating any motorized vehicle on state waters, including powered sailboats and paddlecraft. California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways will issue the lifetime cards to those who show proof of passing an approved boater safety exam. A lifetime card will cost $10. There is a phase in schedule such that ALL persons regardless of age must carry a Card by 1 January 2025. Visit www.californiaboatercard.com for details, and for links to approved safety classes.

I took my course on-line through Boat US Foundation. Didn't need to do it now (I'm old enough to wait until 2025), but figured I had better do it while I still have my wits about me. :)

2. Jwr

Jwr Your humble club President Staff Member

That presumes that they are currently about you. Given all of the work you put into this club and fisheries management issues I sometimes wonder ;-).

3. MikeGiraudo

MikeGiraudo Capt. M/V Fishing Luhrs

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get Robbie to get his now, I guess. Luckily, I am exempt (100 ton masters) I wonder how long the "lifetime" will be actually good for until they want more money! ;-)

4. AQUA HERO

AQUA HERO Salmon "Wet" Nurse

I am going after the 101TON Master Masters...

5. Bstnwaler

Bstnwaler Coastside Member

How about ex-100 ton ticket holders ??

6. AQUA HERO

AQUA HERO Salmon "Wet" Nurse

I think they give you 3 % credit...Just write that on a piece of card board and show it to the Boat Cops that will be patrolling...

7. Superfish

Superfish Coastside Member

Not so fast. I was at the ISE yesterday. CA Division of Boating & Waterways was passing out A COURSE FOR SAFE BOATING. CALIFORNIA BOATING for free. The course includes a 60-question, multiple choice test booklet, answer sheet and return envelope to be sent the Division of Boating and Waterways for scoring. Boaters will receive from DBW a certificate of completion upon passing the test (80% and above). The certificate is accepted for court-ordered requirements.....

The ex-100 ton ticket holders can be our tutors and help with the answers to the questions.

Example question: You may not exceed 5 mph when operating within how many feet of a swimmer?
    choices: 100 ft, 200 ft, 300 ft, or 500 ft

You have to find the answer in the course book.